The Center for Native American Research and Collaboration invites WSU faculty, administrative professionals, and staff to become Affiliates of the Center. Affiliate membership is also open to tribal members, and Associate Membership is open to scholars at other academic institutions. Affiliates and Associates will focus their expertise, experience, and engagement on topics related to Native American (Native) research, teaching, and outreach:
- Feedback, guidance, and interaction with colleagues and tribal stakeholders that enhances collaboration, interdisciplinary research, and funding opportunities;
- Workshops, trainings, and other programming related to Native perspectives, protocols, research topics, intellectual property rights, etc.;
- Participation in upcoming conferences featuring faculty, undergraduate and graduate students, Native WSU alumni, and tribal community members;
- Curriculum development and enhancement, the promotion of undergraduate/graduate research relevant to Native Americans, and development of student service learning and opportunities for applied work in Native communities;
- Access to Native source materials available at WSU (manuscripts, archives, collections, documents, research) and identification of materials for acquisition through the Center that will enhance resources;
- Networking and service opportunities as a resource for the public, private and federal agencies, tribes and Native communities seeking expertise, information, and collaboration on Native issues;
- Conferences and workshops to engage tribes and address tribal concerns and issues;
- Recruitment and support of Native graduate and professional students.
If you are interested in becoming an Affiliate/Associate of Center please review the membership requirements and complete the application. Affiliates/Associates will be appointed by the Center. Appointments will be for a 3-year term and may be renewed. Initial appointments will be made for 1 to 3 years to establish staggered terms. If you have questions or need any additional information please contact: Ken Lokensgard. Thank you for your interest.
Affiliate Faculty Membership
- Tenured, tenure-track, clinical, or adjunct faculty at Washington State University with active research, teaching and/or mentoring foci relevant to Native Americans. Affiliates may be associated with any WSU Campus or Extension.
Associate Faculty Membership
- Tenured, tenure-track, clinical, or adjunct faculty at another university with active research, teaching, and/or mentoring foci relevant to Native Americans.
Tribal Affiliate Membership
- Tribal Elders, scholars, program directors with active research and/or expertise.
Non-Faculty Affiliate Membership
- Administrative Professionals or Staff at Washington State University with demonstrated expertise and interest in Native American research, teaching, mentoring, or outreach activities.
Emeritus Affiliate Membership
- Retired individuals, who previously qualified for WSU Affiliate Faculty or Non-faculty Memberships.
Affiliates and Associates must submit annual reports of their activities related to Native Americans and Higher Education. To maintain active status, members must attend a minimum of two of the Center’s scheduled events (Affiliate/Associate meetings, trainings, presentations, etc.) annually. A link to each member’s curriculum vitae or resumé will be shared on the Center website. Affiliate Faculty, Associate Faculty, Tribal Affiliate, and Non-faculty Affiliate Memberships last three years and may be renewed at the end of that period. Emeritus Affiliate Membership terms are lifelong.