Name: Iris Carone

Tribe: Blackfoot

Hometown: San Jose, CA

Degree received from WSU: Bachelor’s in Biology with a Minor in Chemistry 

Iris Carone, Blackfoot, just received her bachelor’s in biology with a minor in chemistry.

Why did you choose WSU? I chose WSU because the atmosphere was very inviting, and the staff was there to support you for your next step in life. Finding a job after was an important goal for me, and the school matched that.

What did you enjoy most about being a WSU student? I enjoyed being in such a family-like environment. It is truly something special to walk in the grocery store here in California and have friendly, random conversations with other Coug alumni like we had known each other for years. Of course Ferdinand’s was the best part too.

What activities/programs were you involved with while at WSU? I was part of the UREC (University Recreation) team where I worked for two years and Camp Adventure.

Did any particular WSU program make an impact in your success as a student? I believe the UREC really impacted me because they helped me increase my leadership abilities and made me step outside of my comfort zone.

What was your biggest challenge to achieving your education and how did you overcome it? I believe my biggest challenge was Organic Chemistry. It took me more than once to complete it, but I was able to do so because I had a great support system between my roommate who was also taking the class and the Organic Chemistry teaching assistants.

What are your future plans? I am currently applying to a certification program to become a Clinical Laboratory Scientist. I want to work in a pathology lab specifically working with parasites and bacteria.

What advice would you give a freshman? Remember that you have so many more decades to live. Your plan B and C and D are still amazing options and just because plan A doesn’t work out does not mean you won’t be a happy, successful adult.