Name: Kaysha Kawailehua Mata-Peahu

Tribe: Karuk Tribe

Hometown: Lihue, HI

Degree(s) received from WSU, and major and/or minor: BA in Apparel, Merchandising, Design and Textiles 

Kaysha Mata-Peahu
Kaysha Kawailehua Mata-Peahu received her bachelor’s degree in Apparel, Merchandising, Design and Textiles. 

Why did you choose WSU? I wanted to study fashion design and WSU had a great program/department where I could study what I love, but also give me that university experience (clubs, extra-curricular activities, and sports).

What did you enjoy most about being a WSU student? The football games and the WSU Mom’s Weekend Fashion Show.

What activities/programs were you involved with while at WSU? I was involved with the Hawaii Club (Public Relations Officer), AMDT Fashion Club (Member and Secretary), and WSU Mom’s Weekend Fashion Show.

Did any particular WSU program make an impact in your success as a student? Yes, the fashion club helped.

What was your biggest challenge to achieving your education and how did you overcome it? My biggest challenge was moving out of the dorms to a single apartment. I have been boarding in a dorm since I was 13 years old (high school boarding school), but living on my own and being responsible for bills, cooking dinner, etc. was a hard adjustment. I overcame this challenge by prioritizing my school, social, and home life responsibilities which allowed me to focus on what was important and get things done in a timely manner.

What are your future plans? My ultimate goal is to become a fashion designer of my own clothing line, but until then, I hope to gain as much experience as I can and enjoy life!

What advice would you give a freshman? Time management is key. Always prioritize and put your class work first, but don’t forget to have fun and enjoy every moment at WSU!