Name: Abagail Bellin (I prefer Abby)

Tribe: Yup’ik, Alaskan Native

Hometown: Kent, WA

Degree(s) received from WSU, and major and/or minor: Bachelor’s of Science in Architectural Studies. I am continuing with graduate school in Fall 2017, beginning a 2-year Masters of Architecture program

Abagail Bellin
Abagail Bellin, Yupik, received her bachelor’s in Architectural Studies and will continue at WSU for her master’s in architecture.

Why did you choose WSU? I chose WSU because I wanted to try something new and gain some independence, I wanted to be far enough from home so I would have to learn to be independent and do things on my own, but did not want to be too far that it would be impossible to go home when I inevitably got homesick. I also was looking for a university in an intimate setting with lots of school spirit and alumni support and that is exactly what I got at WSU!

What did you enjoy most about being a WSU student? I loved living in the dorm. I made so many friends on my floor and am still really good friends with a handful of them. It was a blast living right down the hall from so many new, exciting personalities and we all clicked so well, they were my freshman year Coug family. Related to that, I would have to say my favorite thing about being a WSU student is that no matter what beliefs or backgrounds we all come from, there is one thing we can all agree on and that’s that we love the Cougs! We are just one big Coug family, I love it and am so happy I am a part of it for the rest of my life!

What activities/programs were you involved with while at WSU?  I was very focused on my studies while in undergrad, it was hard to find time to participate in activities. However, I am a member of Alpha Rho Chi, the architecture business fraternity. I also worked for The Daily Evergreen as a graphics technician so many of my advertisement designs were in the school paper!

Did any particular WSU program make an impact in your success as a student?  Like I said, I was very focused on my studies in undergrad. Architecture is not an easy major by any means. However, I have two more years at WSU so I hope to be able to participate in more programs and activities over the duration of graduate school!

What was your biggest challenge to achieving your education and how did you overcome it?  My biggest challenge throughout the duration of undergrad was having to fund my own education while also staying focused on my studies. There have been a lot of obstacles and distractions pertaining to my family that left me to figure out how to pay for college. It was a huge challenge to overcome but I am so proud of myself for completing my first degree and being admitted to the Graduate School of Architecture at WSU.

What are your future plans?  Right now I am working as a Junior Architect at Graphite Design Group in Seattle for a summer internship. In the Fall of 2017 I will start grad school where after 2 years I will earn my professional degree in architecture. After I complete my education I hope to obtain my license reasonably quickly because I really want to design a transitional home that is cost effective, small and efficient enough that it can be mass produced. I want to help solve the homeless crisis in the U.S.

What advice would you give a freshman?  The best advice I can give is to not forget why you are at WSU. Have your fun, have lots of it, that is what college is for but don’t forget to study. C’s might get degrees but they don’t get you jobs. Keep your priorities straight but make these next four years the time of your life!