Austin Kicking Woman

Tribe:
Yakama Nation

Hometown: Toppenish, WA

Degree received: Bachelor’s in Humanities with an emphasis in Digital Technology and Culture and Human Development

Why did you choose WSU?
I chose WSU because it was one of the first schools I visited and just loved the campus. I also liked that the community is great.

What did you enjoy most about being a WSU student?  I really enjoyed going to football games and going to the Native Center to hangout.

What activities/programs were you involved with while at WSU? I was involved in the Native American Women’s Association, Ku-ah-Mah, intramural sports, Kinesology club for a semester, and I was a Native American Student Ambassador.

Did any particular WSU program make an impact in your success as a student? Native Programs help me the most because without Native Programs I probably never would have graduated.

What was your biggest challenge to achieving your education and how did you overcome it? My biggest challenge I faced was the death of my brother. The way I overcame this was by being persistent and mainly with the help of the students at the Native Center and the help of the Native Center’s staff members.

What are your future plans? My plan right now is to apply to the JET program (Japan Exchange and Teaching Program).

What advice would you give a freshman? My advice I would give freshmen is that if you are having a hard time just reach out to who ever you are comfortable with and use the resources that are available.