Veneice Guillory-Lacy

Tribe:
 Nez Perce (Nimiipuu)

Hometown: Lapwai, ID

Degree received from WSU: Ph.D. in Teaching and Learning Department in the College of Education, Cultural Studies and Social Thought in Education (CSSTE) Ph.D. Program

photo of Veneice Guillory-LacyWhy did you choose WSU? WSU has always been a part of my life. My Mom Connie Guillory attended WSU for undergrad, my Dad Jeff Guillory worked at WSU for 27 years and two of my brothers Dr. Raphael and Dr. Justin Guillory both earned their doctorates at WSU. The Coug community is special and supportive, and I wanted to be a part of such a great educational environment.

What did you enjoy most about being a WSU student? I enjoyed my PhD program and my cohort. I have had one of the best times of my life. I also enjoyed the fact that my husband and children were a part of this amazing journey.

What activities/programs were you involved with while at WSU? I served in student government as the Vice President of WSU-GPSA (Graduate Professional Student Association).

Did any particular WSU program make an impact in your success as a student? GPSA and the CSSTE Ph.D. program were a huge part of my success at WSU.

What was your biggest challenge to achieving your education and how did you overcome it? My biggest challenge was the part of the PhD program where you are finished with your classes and you need to do your own studying, reading and writing to prepare yourself for three separate exams (written exam, oral exam, and final defense). I overcame it by staying connected to my cohort, supportive friends, my faith, and helping others by serving in GPSA.

What are your future plans? A doctorate opens up many opportunities, which I am currently exploring.  Ultimately, I plan to use my doctorate in K-12 educational leadership or in higher education.

What advice would you give a freshman? Try not to box yourself into a major right away. Explore and experience different classes and majors. Also, get involved in student government, clubs, or student organizations. Find your community because it will help you stay the course and graduate. Lastly, have fun and make new friends!